I’ve been asked how Joyrides work with kids.
Well, they tend to get bored in the back seat, but the stuff to do is out there, if you take the time to find it.
Take Spectacular Sunrise, a Joyrides Around San Diego drive in San Diego County’s southeastern corners. It can be the base for a whole vacation.
- Mount Laguna camping: The Forest Service has a variety of campgrounds on the mountain.
- Mount Laguna Lodge can be your base. The rustic cabins and motel are a good alternative to camping.
- Activities from Laguna Mountain Volunteer Association: The locals have family programs all through the summer.
- There’s more from the Mount Laguna Improvement Association.
- Dirt roading: Your all-wheel-drive SUV can take many of the trails on the mountain. Kids do enjoy bumpy rides in the woods!
I did a search and there also might be some places in the area that offer horseback riding. My friend’s kids are ages 3 and 7, so horses might be just for visiting.
Any trip off the beaten path is going to need a bit more planning than going to a theme park, but that’s part of the fun. I still remember the planning for a trip we took when I was 8. The good news: If it doesn’t work out, home is close by. But the trip will work out.