It’s finally on sale… the long-awaited and long-requested print version of my popular Kindle books, Joyrides Around San Diego.
Containing ten drives around San Diego, it’s an updated and properly formatted print version of my Amazon Kindle drives that have been popping up since March 2015.
The drives take readers on back roads around San Diego County—from the beach to the Borrego desert badlands, from Old Highway 80 on the U.S.-Mexico border to Palomar Mountain. They’re perfect for your next San Diego day trip.
- Towering Old Highway: A run across the nearly empty old U.S. 80 in southeastern San Diego County.
- Quintessential California: Old U.S. 101 was once the main route to Los Angeles. Today it’s a wonderful drive along the beach and through still-quaint beach towns.
- Journey to the Stars: There are three ways up to Mt. Palomar, home to one of the world’s largest telescopes. There’s also camping and some fantastic twisting roads—but only two of them are paved.
- Spectacular Sunrise: The newest in the Joyride Guru® series, takes drivers over the only National Forest Scenic Byway in San Diego County, Sunrise Highway. This new trip will be published and available on Amazon Kindle in November but is in the print Joyrides Around San Diego today.
- Jaunt to Julian: Think you know how to get to San Diego’s favorite gold rush-era town? Think again. There’s not only apple pie in the mountain community, but some great roads and hidden parks nearby.
- Curves, Dirt and Cuyamaca: Exercise that all-wheel or four-wheel-drive vehicle on an easy, unpaved road before visiting the spectacular Lake Cuyamaca and Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.
- Crazy Couser: Find out what one local sports car club labels as their favorite road, plus visit a classic-car museum just north of Escondido. End the day with one of the best burgers you’ll find.
- Roads of the Ranch: Visit a community of the “one percent” that harkens back to the days of Old Spanish California… that never existed. Find out what happened when a railroad found out the trees it planted made lousy railroad ties.
- Off-the-Grid Journey: Isolation is just off the highway in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in the Blair valleys, where there are thousands of years of history to be found.
- Beautiful Badlands: Visit Borrego Springs and Font’s Point, a vista over the water- and wind-scarred Borrego Badlands. It’s not the Grand Canyon, but it is right in our back yard and has similar spectacular vistas.
As I’ve said before, traditional travel stories are about the destination. I write about the journey.
Like their digital counterparts, these Joyride Guru® trips give drivers turn-by-turn directions, a locator map, and details on what you’re exploring.
Drive on some of the same roads that car companies use to show off their beautiful vehicles. Whether your ride is a minivan or Maserati, Jeep or jalopy, hotrod or Hyundai, there’s a perfect road nearby.
Explore twisting, curving roads and dirt trails from the beach to the mountains and the desert. Perfect for families and anyone who wants to take a different journey.
The book is compact-sized to keep in your vehicle or backpack… it fits in many glove compartments and map pockets. Joyrides Around San Diego is perfect to keep handy for those last-minute local road trips. It’s available on Amazon.com for just $19.95.