I’m a big fan of Alton Brown‘s 2006-08 travelogue shows on the Food Network: Feasting on Asphalt, Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run, where he and a crew cross the country on motorcycles (Alton’s was a BMW R1200RT), and Feasting on Waves, where the crew eats, drinks and sails around the Caribbean.
In the inside back cover of book that accompanied The River Run, he gives his road tips. They’re mostly ones that I live by.
- Plan with maps, but take a GPS.
- Plan, but don’t overplan.
- Camp (I prefer a hotel, actually).
- Sit still.
- Talk to strangers.
- Steer clear of freeways.
- Listen to the music (local radio stations).
- Avoid any restaurant that displays no sense of place (look for a local bulletin board, service club signs and other hints that locals go there).
- Avoid dirty (if the restaurant smells, avoid it).
- Seek out community events.
Each has a bit of explanation by the Brown. These plus the recipes and the other text in the book make it a good read. ⚙