Fall in San Diego County means the weather can be all over the place… extreme heat, cold rain, fog, sunny and 72. It also means that all areas are available, depending on the weather. So are five great San Diego day trips for fall, all courtesy Joyrides Around San Diego.
- The desert: Temps on most days have dropped below 100º and that means the desert is coming alive again. Borrego Springs and my two desert Joyrides — Off the Grid Journey and Beautiful Badlands — are just waiting for you.
- The beach: The big tourists invasion is mostly over, the water is cooler and you’ll find parking at the beach, especially if you’re there during the week. Check out the Quintessential California chapter for a drive from Oceanside to Torrey Pines.
- Food fun: A drive out to lunch or a chocolate factory — did you say chocolate factory? — makes for perfect family fall fun. Check out the Towering Old Highway (chocolate factory in Boulevard) or Journey to the Stars (great Mexican food in Pala and a mountaintop cafe) for more. Find out about the fall apple harvest and pie in the town of Julian in the chapter Jaunt to Julian.
- On the dirt: Your SUV probably has all-wheel-drive and can do some easy dirt-roading. Curves, Dirt and Cuyamaca, and Spectacular Sunrise in East County, or Journey to the Stars in North County are where your Joyrides come with dirt.
- Fall flowers and color: Roads of the Ranch, through Rancho Santa Fe, gives you a glimpse of how the 1 percent live. And their gardeners have done a great job of replanting the annuals for fall color.
No matter where you journey, make it a good one.